1/15/10

We Are What We Eat

For your body is that which you eat, and your spirit is that which you think.

 
I stopped eating meat in Oct, 2009. I don't miss meat itself, but confess to some difficulty getting used to substituting it. I am tired of pork and beans without the pork! Fortunately there are some great recipes on a blog called Leslie's Musings @ lwinchar.blogspot.com; she is a vegetarian and is leading the way for many of us. Leslie's reasons for choosing to discontinue eating meat are noted on her blog and many mirror and have influenced mine. Reasons partly to do with animal welfare and abhorrence at the methods by which we manufacture meat; health concerns created by eating a western diet rich in meat, meat by-products (this can include euthanized animals and those that died enroute to the slaughter house), herbicides, pesticides, growth hormones and who really knows what else. For years, I have made every effort to buy and consume happy meat. Meat labelled humanely treated, free range, organic etc. in an effort to stop the madness and corruption of meat manufacturing. But after a time I began to realize that, for myself, I could no longer eat meat and also believe I really cared about animals as sentient beasts, given life as I am by our Creator. Because even humanely treated animals are culled from the herd and then have their brains bashed in and their throats slit. Seems the same as murder of any innocent to me; imagine a madman luring you with reassurance that you are safe and coaxing you to your death.


A 2007 article titled Processed Meats Too Dangerous for Human Consumption @ http://www.totalhealthbreakthroughs.com/says the following: The World Cancer Research Fund (WCRF) ... review of more than 7,000 clinical studies covering links between diet and cancer... Processed meats are too dangerous for human consumption. Consumers should stop buying and eating all processed meat products for the rest of their lives.

Processed meat is too dangerous for human consumption and still available on the market? All of you out there running, walking and fundraising for cancer research – looking for a cure? These are the results from that research. Will you think about it or ignore it or are you too busy contributing to the economy to change. The Canadian Government we task with looking out for us allows us, their employer to consume accepted levels of carcinogens and heavy metals as long as there is good economic reason for doing so, such as longer shelf life. And we continue to eat it even when we know. Whoopee look at me! I am eating a fresh cancer causing sandwich and it is okay with me, my government, my neighbours, and my culture; because we all know we cannot survive without the Economy. Besides the research should be working on the cure I will require when my chosen lifestyle catches up with me. Is that not an oxymoron? Not eating the garbage is the cure!

We also know any diet high in animal protein is contributing to general states of un-wellness or dis-ease and a great book The China Study by Dr. T. Colin Campbell states that "People who ate the most animal-based foods got the most chronic disease … People who ate the most plant-based foods were the healthiest and tended to avoid chronic disease.

What are we eating and what are we becoming? For many years I have felt and believed that the consumption of meat was also bringing with it the violence, fear and sickness that the animal felt. That as I chewed on flesh I consume not only the poisons the government allows but the DNA, and atoms that are a part of the animal. We continue to become sicker and sicker, never stopping to consider what we are eating, where it comes from and by what process did it arrive on my table or in my car as I rush through a drive-thru. What animal sacrificed his life for this meal, what Trees were destroyed for its production and with the loss of the Trees comes the loss of food and shelter for birds, squirrels, and a vast array of insects and microorganisms that are dependent on it.

In my 55th I am amazed that we have continued to elect governments that allow mercury, lead, toxic substances, and cancer causing agents etc. to be available in the Canadian food market. Why don't we desire to excel to be the healthiest of people and why is this not what we want our elected officials mandate to be? With the rising cancer rates, diabetes, stroke and heart disease, not to mention the alarming rates of autism and other neurologically damaged children; much of which is directly related to our North American lifestyle. Yet we continue against all common sense to consume poison and continue to expect rescue from the very institutions who allow this in the first place.

A Jesus sermon found in the Essene Gospel of Peace says: I tell you truly, from one Mother proceeds all that lives upon the earth. Therefore, he who kills; kills his brother and from him will the Earthly Mother turn away ... and the flesh of slain beasts in his body will become his own tomb. For I tell you truly, he who kills, kills himself, and who eats the flesh of slain beasts, eats of the body of death. For in his blood every drop of their blood turns to poison; in his breath their breath to stink; in his flesh their flesh to boils; in his bones their bones to chalk; in his bowels their bowels to decay; in his eyes their eyes to scales; in his ears their ears to waxy issue. And their death will become his death. Sounds like 21st Century man to me.

So here we go - another day not eating meat in a meat eating family environment, not so hard after a couple of months. Meat – no I really do not miss it and my conscious is cleaner.

No comments:

Post a Comment